The Collector's Edition of A Bug's Life was announced on November 12, 1999, and was released on November 23. It was later re-released on May 27, 2003, with a little more bonus material (unlike in the 2000 Gold Classic Collection re-release), then on Blu-ray Disc on May 19, 2009. A Blu-ray/DVD combo followed on September 28, 2010.
Experience the astonishing world of Flik and his tiny friends like never before as the magic of Pixar animation springs to life with new crystal-clear picture and amazing theater-quality sound on Disney Blu-ray Hi-Def!
Embark on an incredible journey with one little ant as he searches for a brave band of warriors to help him battle the bullying grasshoppers who threaten his home. When he stumbles on a bumbling troupe of circus bugs instead, their only hope for victory is the bond of friendship and the awesome power of imagination. Crawling with fun-loving characters and featuring a star-studded voice cast, this epic film of miniature proportions is a "triumph of storytelling," says the San Francisco Chronicle. Plus, with all-new bonus features created exclusively for Disney Blu-ray, including a DisneyFile Digital Copy of the movie, A Bug's Life will keep the whole family buzzing for hours!
- Music-only audio track (Widescreen version only)
- SFX-only audio track (Full Screen version only)
- Audio commentary by John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, and Lee Unkrich
- Sound Design
- Geri's Game (the short film from 1997)
- Finding Nemo: Fishy Facts (2003 re-release only)
- "A Bug's Land" Game (2003 re-release only)
Blu-ray Disc only:
- A Bug's Life -- The First Draft -- All-New, Never-Before-Seen Animated Sequences From The Original Story Treatment With Introduction By John Lasseter
- A Walt Disney Silly Symphony: "Grasshopper And The Ants"
- Includes Digital Copy Of A Bug's Life For Portable Media Players
In the pre-production section of this disc, there are a "Fleabie" reel, the original treatment for A Bug's Life, a storyboard pitch, a comparison between the storyreel and final versions of a scene from the movie, and two abandoned sequences ("Original Museum Opening" and "P.T.'s Office").
In "Design", you can take a look at early sketches of the characters and the locations.
For "Production", there are some featurettes called "Behind the Scenes of A Bug's Life", "Voice Casting", "Early Tests", and a progression demonstration of another scene of the movie in four different angles (storyreel, layout, animation, and shaders and lighting).
Under "Release", you can look at some posters and an ad campaign, watch two trailers, some character interviews, a reframing featurette, and some reframing examples.
In Other Countries
|Country of origin||Release date|
|South Korea||April 10, 2002|
|UK||September 9, 2002|
|Japan||September 20, 2002|
|France||November 27, 2002|